Dec 22

iphoto

Recently I was trying to access some photo’s from my Mum’s iPhoto library on her time machine backup, but my computer doesn’t have iPhoto, it has Photos App. When I tried to open the iPhoto library with the newer Photos App, it wanted to upgrade the entire iPhoto library. Here’s how to access an individual photo from an old iPhoto library.

If you go to your home directory, there is a folder called ‘Pictures’ where Apple stores all your photos. If you have used iPhoto, then in the ‘Pictures’ folder there will be a file called ‘iPhoto Library’.  It appears as one file. Don’t do this, but if you were to click it then it would try to open in iPhoto, or Photos.  Instead, if you hold down the control key while you click, you will see an option called ‘Show Package Contents.’ Click on this.

contents

Now you will see all kinds of files. Find the one called ‘Originals’ and click on it.

Originals

Now you will see a new folder with a lot of years. Click on a year, then a month, and you will see all the pictures from your iPhoto library from that month. You can then open the photos one by one, copy them, or do what you like with each picture.

years

The photo’s are arranged in folders under the years and months they were taken.

49 Responses to “How to access your old iPhoto library without iPhoto”

1. Mitch says:

Worked like a charm. Even better if I just dropped the original file on top of lightroom it pretty much imported the iphoto pictures into correct date files. Thanks a lot. Wish this had come up on my first, second etc search

2. Dru says:

Thanks so much for this. I messed up my Photo Library somehow and lost years of pictures, but was able to recover a lot from my Time Machine backups this way!

3. Adam says:

This is a create tip. It has helped me to check what is in the old folder versus the new updated Photos folder

4. eli says:

woooow you saved me so much time!!! thank you so so much for this!!!!!!

5. reem says:

i did the same thing you just described above there. i couldn’t find this “originals” so what can i do?

6. Jennifer says:

THANK YOU THANK YOU! I searched SO many forums and your advice was the simplest by far–plus it was the only advice that WORKED. Helped me find my wedding photos from 8 years ago that I thought were gone forever.

7. claire dotson says:

my folders came up numbered 0-9 and A-F. the pictures in the folders were not from my iphoto account. does my computer need to be connected to the cloud? The pictures were in iphoto on an older computer. I stiil have that computer can I access them there using this method?

8. Paul Murray says:

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately the structure of the “Show Package Contents” does not have the “Originals” folder in it. The structure appears quite different. I am unsure if this has been corrupted somehow. I do however have an iPhoto Library.photolibrary file saved in a backup on a hard drive. I am uncertain of the type of format this has been saved in.
    Is there anything I can do to recover these lost photos? The file size on the backup is 179Gb.

• Paul Murray says:

I have located the file type the iPhoto Library.photolibrary file is saved under. It is NTFS. Any ideas on how to resolve this problem would be more than welcome. Thanks again.

9. mb says:

Thank you so very much! this solved my problem. I could not find my photos from 2010 on my time machine backups.