Mar 13

I love the scroll wheel on top of the Apple mighty mouse, but after a while the sweat and oil on your finger combined with grit and dust clogs the whole thing up. This manifests itself in the scroll wheel not scrolling down, or up, or in worst cases, not scrolling all. Here’s how to fix the problem.

I rang Apple and said my scroll wheel was not working and they gave me this simple but effective solution over the phone.

Simply take a sheet of clean white paper, put it on top of the mouse, and press down on the scroll wheel with your finger, but with the paper between your finger and the scroll wheel. Press quite hard with it and at the same time scroll around – moving it up and down and round and round. Move to a different area of the paper and give it another go.

The paper seems to absorb all the oil and gunk off the scroll wheel, and the scroll wheel in turn when it is clean must absorb the gunk off the sensors or whatever is underneath it.

I have found that a better method, especially with a dirty mouse, is to turn the mouse upside down and run the scroll-wheel in circles on a clean piece of paper until all the dirt comes off.

Make sure you use a brand new clean piece of paper.

Do not use alcohol. The rubber scroll wheel is sensitive and the alcohol is not needed.

No not use water. You don’t want water getting into the inside of your mouse!

It’s just dirty. It’s funny that I could not find this information anywhere on Google or on the Apple web page.

This clean paper trick works amazingly well.

278 Responses to “How to fix the scroll wheel on your Apple mighty mouse”

1. Alex Maxim says:

This worked an absolute treat, with a slight variant: I unplugged the mouse, and turned it upside down before firmly rolling it in multiple directions on the paper for a good few minutes. Many thanks!

2. Krista says:

You are a genius! This worked like a charm. Thanks so much for sharing. It was driving me nuts that my wheel would just stop working periodically and this solved the problem. Thanks!

3. Yifan Li says:

This trick is amazing and saved my work… Haha it looks really funny when I scroll my mouse upside down like a kid!

4. Phineas Fiske says:

Worked for me. Thanks

5. Karen says:

OMG! This worked!

I googled the solution to it and this was the 1st result.

Was driving me nuts that my mouse ( with a cord ) was not scrolling! Was only scrolling downward but not upward so I ended up using the sidebar to the right.

I did your instruction exactly and within secs, viola! Worked like a charm. Thanks for sharing your solution. It’s genius! My Apple is working again. I’m soooooo happy! THANK YOU! :D

I just discovered this blog now and I’m gonna keep coming back for future solutions.

6. Will says:

Such a simple fix! I wish I would have looked for this a couple of weeks ago (before I went out and bought a Trackpad). Well, now I have a backup. Thanks for the info!

7. Annie says:

Perfect! This solved my issue and it was such a simple fix. Thanks!

8. David O Byrne says:

Worked a treat.

9. Jo Tatters says:

This is a great tip! Thanks so much. Simple but very effective and got my mouse working again in no time at all!

10. Sam says:

OH MY GOD, this totally worked, I have bought at least 5 of these things over the years and nothing has ever worked, until now. TY!

11. Fran Conn says:

You are my new online BFF! Merci!

12. Diego says:

Wonderful! It worked perfectly! Thank you!

13. Marilyn Howard says:

We have tried all other “fixes” without success. THIS was THE fix! Thank you so much. My suggestion is to use a card stock piece of paper to keep the tiny paper fibers from building up inside. The gross clumps and streaks of gunk on the paper verify that this was definitely the problem and the other cleaning efforts, though the roller ball LOOKED clean, were not a solution. I just revived 3 of the Apple Mighty Mouse units and will clean some more. We sell surplus technology from school districts. We don’t know what these teachers are doing or allowing their students to do. No wonder COVID-19 closed down schools. Talk about filth!

14. Van says:

this works so well!!!!!! I was doubting it at first because my mouse looks clean and i clean it frequently, but after a few mins rubbing it upside down gently on a notebook’s paper (not tissue paper), it worked!!!! Thank you very much for sharing the tip!!!!

15. Veronique Helmridge-Marsillian says:

I agree with all the ecstatic comments. Thank you so much!

16. Lorissa says:

I did this, and it did not work for me at first… However I did take a clean MR. CLEAN magic eraser dry, and I unplugged my mouse and held it upside down and used the magic eraser like paper, now it is working!

17. Josee Lebel says:

Thank you! I have been having this issue for over a year and was about to buy a new mouse!

18. Anonymous says:

Only worked for one of my mouses, but thank you for discovering this trick.

19. anonymous says:

AWESOME! This issue was killing me and I was ready to take mouse apart. Voila 3 seconds and fixed. The person who came up with this solution is a genius.