I have a list of contacts in a numbers document that contains their first name, last name, phone and email. This will also work for an excel file, or a CSV file. I wanted to import them into my Apple Contacts on my iPhone so I can email and ring them. This process was much more complex than I expected!
iCloud won’t import a CSV file.
Contacts will only import a list of contacts into the ‘On My Mac’ folder but not into the ‘iCloud’ folder.
iCloud will import a vcd file (v-card) but not a CSV file.
This means the process to get a list of contacts into a folder in iCloud is:
CSV –> Contacts ‘On My Mac’ section –> v-card –> iCloud
Here are the steps:
- Export the Numbers or Excel document to a CSV file on your computer.
- Create a folder (called a group) in the ‘On My Mac’ section of Apple contacts.
- ‘Import’ the CSV file into the folder in Contacts.
- Drag that folder to your desktop to export the entire folder as a v-card.
- Open iCloud.com and create a folder there in the contacts section.
- Import the V-Card into this folder.
Here are some pictures:
Quite a convoluted process, but it works!