Apple have introduced the ability to send a group SMS from the messages app. I don’t know when they did this but it is a very handy feature that you may not have noticed. Previously you needed to download a 3rd party app (e.g. ‘Connect’) to send group messages but now you can do it from Apple’s SMS app. Here’s how.
- Create a group in Apple Address book on your desktop computer. Make sure the name only uses letters and numbers because if it has any symbols in the name you can’t search for it from iPhone app.
- On your iPhone one the ‘Messages’ app and create a new message.
- In the ‘To’ field type in the start of the name of the group, then click the group when it appears to select it.
- The messages app will now open a group MMS to all the people in the group.
- Type your message then press ‘send’.
This brings the group texting of the iPhone almost on par with Android.
Note that some mobile phones or plans cannot receive MMS texts so not everyone will be able to receive a group message.